Friday, July 13, 2007

Why do we have to learn about.....

Tai had mentioned that when she was a Teachers Assistant a student had asked, " Why do we have to learn about Native Americans?" Tai's response was that everything in history is interrelated. You can't talk about one thing and not the other. History would not make sense.
History is best described maybe as a domino effect, that goes off into many directions. Personally, I never thought of history like that, I've always thought of it as 'specific events'. I didn't care why or how it had gotton to that point. I just knew I had to know it for a test. Now, it's so much easier to relate or remember history becasue of its how's and why's.

4 comments:

Monica Bissonnette said...

I completely agree while i know that things were connected throughout history I have never really thought of them as interrelated until now. It does making remembering things so much easier.

Jessica said...

I agree history to me consists of the name an event is given, important people involved and the beginning and ending dates... test questions.

Tai Edwards said...

Not only are events easier to remember when they are connected, they are easier to understand and hopefully this will be something you carry with you or explore beyond this course.

Natalie O said...

I think that a lot of people view history as simply of time line of unrelated events, but because that is how most people are taught. When I took history classes we were never asked to analyze events, but rather just memorized dates and facts. So much about leaning and viewing history depends on who is teaching it.