Friday, June 15, 2007

American Culture...what is it?

This week in class someone brought up the fact that France looks down at America because we have "no culture". I would hear from fellow flight attendants, "If you go to Paris, know that, they do not like Americans." I really never understood that comment until this week. France does have a discinct language and history. But they too are having problems with the Muslims in thier country. Did France forget about us..did they forget we helped them win WWII.
American's do not have one specific culture but, we have many. The only one culture to this country is the Native Amerian culture. Today there are many pow-wows around the country. The Souix's still practice the Sun Dance. Native American Church (NAC), which are peyote 'meetings'. Sweats, where usually men, go to pray. Every tribe has their own unique cermonies, religous, name giving, a celebration of birth, 'being featherd'(which an individual eagle feather is giving to a peson who as earned it.) This footage is the different types of dancing styles. Southern Style. Enjoy.

4 comments:

quintonk said...

Good point bringing up the French's disdain towards America despite our aide in WWII. We bailed them out when Germany captured their country in a matter of days.

Monica Bissonnette said...

I completely agree with the comment about the French, I have heard from numerous people that have traveled overseas say the same thing.

Carlos said...

Growing up, my best friend also happened to be my cousin, Jesus. His mother, Beatrice, is an American Indian woman born and raised Sioux in South Dakota. I have always been fascinated with my Aunt Bea and her stories and love that she has remained true to her people even after leaving the reservation. This video reminded me of the pow-wows I would attend at the Mid-American All Indian Center in Wichita with my Aunt and cousin as a child and young adult. I have a tremendous amount of respect for her and always carry with me advice she shared. There are dozens of unique and deserving cultures thriving in America and I hope the American Indian legacy never fades.

Tai Edwards said...

Important point about multi-faceted "American" culture. And even among Native peoples, the different tribes and communities have varying cultures as well. So is one "American" culture a myth?